COVID-19 FACTS & FIGURES
France has extended an overnight curfew to dozens more areas, affecting around 46 million people. Restrictions have been tightened in Italy, as opening hours of bars and restaurant have been reduced and curfews are being introduced on a local basis. Greece has imposed a nigh-time curfew in areas classed as high risk, including Athens and the wider region.
- October 22: 475,502 total new cases (+1.2%), vs 439,104 the previous day and 397,824 7-day average. Now confirmed
41,649,398 cases worldwide (214 countries and territories) vs 38,864,628 cases last week.
- 1,136,818 people have died (2.7% of confirmed cases) and 30,691,753 have recovered (73.7%).
- Europe: 7,035,928 cases; 7-day average growth of 158,126. USA: 8,407,702 cases; 7-day average growth of 61,142.
- Brazil: 5,332,634 cases, 7-day average growth of 23,091. India: 7,759,640 cases, 7-day average growth of 56,304.
- The last week saw a further acceleration in the spread of the disease: the US just had the highest daily cases since July (+71.6k) and the 5 major European countries all reached new highs (France +41.6k, Italy +16k, UK +26.6k, Spain +20.9k, Germany +12.5k).